Medio Cruz and His Controversial Artwork



Blasphemous? You decide!
This is just two of Mideo Cruz’ artworks displayed in the KULO group exhibition held  in the main gallery of the Cultural Center of the Philippines that started on June 17, 2011 and is scheduled to conclude on August 21, 2011. 
Due to a lot of protests, the CCP has decided to temporarily shut down the gallery featuring Cruz’ works. 
I personally do not have something against Cruz’ masterpieces. Controversial? Yes, it is for most of the Filipinos and for the Catholic groups. But does a person really deserves to be punished or humiliated if his ideas do not align with the norms? Should he be banished because his thoughts are unsafe and  provocative unlike the rest of the people? 
Are we going to let the same people who would rather have an overpopulated, poor, and dying society than a nation with high-quality and healthier life get into our minds again? Now I will have to zip my mouth because some groups might attack me now.
Anyway, I will leave you with a statement from Medio Cruz:
“I wanted to provoke people into thinking. I titled my work ‘Poleteismo’ which loosely translates into ‘many beliefs’ or ‘many deities.’ Throughout history, humanity has grown to create new gods and these are not always religious figures but concepts and objects. Some have taken to worshipping money; some see politicians as godsend. People create idols and these idols whether or not they’re deserving of idolatry or worship affect our lives and how we function and see the world.” 
Are you enlightened yet?


Labels: ,